Friday, August 18, 2006

DILEMMA... HELP!

Goodmorning runners! I was full of guilt for missing my morning run yesterday that I went after work... 4 miles at 10:54 min/miles pace... I know why now I have to get out of bed in the morning! So much harder running after a day of work!

My dilemma is about participating in the Point-Pelee half marathon... It is only 3 weeks before the Toronto Marathon and it is the week-end I am scheduled to run 20 miles.... I was thinking of doing week 15 (with the 20 miler) before the race... is that a bad idea? And replacing the week of the half with Week 14 which schedule a 14 miler.... Is the race to close to my actual goal race? I read in last month's Runner's World that racing before your goal race is a great idea but they were suggestion 1-2 months prior to it not 3 weeks.... any opinions?? I still haven't paid for the half-marathon race so I could still forget it all together.... but I thought it was a fun way to get a 13.1 miler in me...

Thanks for any tips and runner's wisdom sharing!!

1 comment:

Arcane said...

It depends on what type of runner are you. If you tend to do all your runs at the same pace then what you've suggested is fine. On the other hand, if you have a half marathon pace that is significantly faster than your training pace, then it's probably not a good idea. 3 weeks prior to a marathon is a perfect time for running a *short* race (up to a 10k), not a half. A half three weeks out would be fine if you just use it as a training run though.